Our second National Meeting was held October May 6 - 7, 2002 in Newport, Rhode Island. The objectives of the meeting were:
- To develop a set of core indicators of school readiness to track progress for young children and families in the states.
- To share state work on additional indicators (core plus) of school readiness in order to inform state policy and program development.
- To formulate state-specific strategies to gather data and use indicators to influence policy.
- To present outcomes from the first Residency Roundtable on indicators of social and emotional development.
- To share strategies for communicating with policymakers, community leaders, and the public in order to improve child well-being in states and communities.